Skip to Content
Skip to Table of Contents
- Assess whether digital media have been damaged in transit.
- Assess whether files may have been affected by transit or transfer process.
- Use hash values or checksums (unique digital fingerprints) and preview tools to check the digital condition and authenticity of materials.
- Consider the physical condition of digital media before trying to access them.
- Determine whether inaccessible media still retain value as physical artifacts.
- Develop policies regarding the retention and disposal of certain types of files and digital media. Make sure decisions are supported by policy.