Skip to Content
Skip to Table of Contents
- Assess born-digital materials prior to acquisition.
- Weigh the cultural and research value of the collection, or components of it, with the cost of capture and ongoing preservation and access.
- Share relevant information and documentation with donors and dealers about the collection review and acquisition processes.
- Clarify expectations regarding digital preservation and access.
- Conduct a survey of born-digital materials:
- Determine the method by which to do this through consultation with the donor or dealer.
- Conduct in-person/on-site surveys when possible.
- Have policies in place regarding the capture, storage, and disposal of files copied for the purpose of preliminary assessment.
- Capture the donor’s files or directory structures when closer analysis or more time is needed than is possible on a site visit, or when an on-site survey is not possible.